U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
The OCR serves student populations facing discrimination and institutions promoting systemic solutions to civil rights problems. The OCR resolves complaints of discrimination.
- The PHRC and the OCR do not have a formal arrangement to "dual file" cases but may refer cases to one another or work cooperatively to resolve issues at Pennsylvania educational institutions.
- The PHRC and the OCR share the common goal of promoting equal educational opportunity.
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
The OCR works to protect your fundamental rights of nondiscrimination and health insurance information privacy.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
The HUD enforces the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Fair Housing Act.
- The Pennsylvania Human Relations Act (PHRA) defines accessible as "in compliance with the applicable standards set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990."
- Fair Housing Act
- The PHRA defines accessible as "in compliance with the Fair Housing Act."
- If a complaint alleging violation of the Fair Housing Act is filed with the PHRC, a complaint will also be filed with HUD.
U.S. Department of Justice Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
The OCR investigates complaints from those who believe an agency funded by the Department of Justice has discriminated against them in employment or the delivery of goods and services.
- The PHRC refers complaints to the OCR.
- The PHRC works with the OCR Community Relations Service (CRS) to provide training in communities and schools to resolve or prevent conflicts and tension arising from differences of race, color, national origin, or religion.
U.S. Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division
The Dept. of Labor Wage and Hour Division enforces the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.
- The Dept. of Labor Wage and Hour Division also enforces other labor laws and fair workplace practice laws, such as minimum wage and child labor laws.
- Pennsylvania's labor laws are enforced primarily by the Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry (DLI).
U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC)
The EEOC enforces laws prohibiting discrimination in employment. If a complaint is filed with the PHRC alleging a violation of EEOC laws, we may also file their complaint with EEOC. The EEOC may also "dual file" such a complaint with the PHRC.
- Only one agency investigates the case.
- The PHRC holds cases being investigated by the EEOC open until EEOC closes them.
- The EEOC decides whether to close or open the case for further investigation.
- This process preserves the complainant's rights under state and federal law.
National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA)
The NFHA is the voice of fair housing and works to eliminate housing discrimination and to ensure equal housing opportunity for all people through leadership, education, outreach, membership services, public policy initiatives, community development, advocacy, and enforcement.