Begin Main Content Area

Complaint Filed Against You Process

If a complaint is filed with the PHRC naming you, your company, or your organization as a respondent, the PHRC will send the named respondent a copy of the complaint.  This is called serving the complaint.

  • Respondents have 30 days from the date the complaint is served to provide the PHRC with a written, verified answer and send a copy to the complainant.
  • If you are unable, for a good reason, to file an answer within this time, the PHRC may grant you an extension of no more than 30 additional days.
  • In no case will you have more than 60 days in which to respond.
Before you sign the answer, make sure it is correct to the best of your knowledge and belief.

  • Pennsylvania law provides penalties for persons who knowingly file false answers.
  • Failure to answer a complaint may result in a judgment against you.
You, your company, or organization have the right to be represented before the PHRC by a private attorney.

The complaint is reported to the Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs or the Pennsylvania Department of State, if you or your agents are licensed through them.

The PHRC will file your complaint with the appropriate federal agency if the allegations against you are covered under federal laws enforced by the:
If you received a letter stating that a complaint was filed against you and it referred you to this page, you should review the following:

How to write and file an Answer: 
How to Answer a Complaint for Respondents.pdf

How to write and file a position statement in response to a Complaint:
How to write Respondent’s position Statement.pdf

If a complaint has been dual-filed with the EEOC against you, please read EEOC's letter:


Expand AllClick here for a more accessible version